Utah Seal of Biliteracy
Utah Seal of Biliteracy Overview
English Requisite: N/A
ELL Requisite: N/A
2ND LANGUAGE CRITERIA
Award Qualification: Intermediate-Mid
American Sign Language: Yes
College Credit: No
Utah Seal of Biliteracy Accepted Tests and Assessments
Click on a test below to learn more.
DISCLAIMER: Test requirements and usage often changes or varies by school, district, county etc. Make sure to check in with your school district for up to date testing information for the Utah Seal of Biliteracy. There may be additional assessments or evidenced based processes that qualify for the Utah State Seal of Biliteracy that are not shown here.
Rule R277-499. Seal of Biliteracy.
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Subsection 53E-3-501(1)(b), which allows the Board to establish rules and minimum standards for graduation requirements.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to establish rules and procedures for a student to earn a Seal of Biliteracy in conjunction with a high school diploma.
(1) "Intermediate-Mid" level means a level of language proficiency in terms of speaking, writing, listening, and reading in real-world situations in a spontaneous and non-rehearsed context, as established by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages or tribal education directors.
(2) "Seal of Biliteracy " means a recognition, awarded in conjunction with a student's high school diploma, which certifies that a student is proficient in English and at Intermediate-Mid level or higher in one or more world languages.
(3) "World language" means a language other than English and includes:
(a) American Sign Language;
(b) American Native Languages, such as Navajo or Ute; and
(c) classical languages, such as Latin.
(1)(a) An LEA may develop a local application process for a student who wishes to earn the Seal of Biliteracy.
(b) An LEA application process shall include procedures for:
(i) advertising the criteria for the Seal of Biliteracy;
(ii) tracking students who may qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy; and
(iii) documenting student progress.
(c) An LEA shall train counselors and world language coordinators to provide information on the application process to interested students.
(d) The Superintendent shall provide an application template which an LEA may use in the application process.
(2) An LEA may award the Seal of Biliteracy to a student who:
(a) demonstrates proficiency in an English assessment; and
(b) demonstrates a minimum of Intermediate Mid-level proficiency in a world language assessment.
(3)(a) The Superintendent shall maintain a list of acceptable national and international tests with qualifying scores to demonstrate proficiency as required by this rule.
(b) The Superintendent shall review and update the list provided by Subsection (3)(a) on a regular basis and publish the information on the Board's website.
(4) If a student meets the requirements of Subsection (2):
(a) the Superintendent shall place the Seal of Biliteracy electronically on the student's transcript; and
(b) an LEA may place a seal on the student's paper diploma.
January 10, 2017
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(4); 53E-3-501(1)(b)